“Tell me what you want, what you really really want.”
So many people (myself included) don’t know what they want in life. Why?
- We’re scared of what it’d be like if we really want it, but don’t get it.
- We’re scared people might think we’re selfish.
- We tell ourselves: I’m serving others by putting their needs above mine.
- It’s been so long that we’ve asked this question, we have no idea even where to start.
- We tell ourselves: Isn’t what we have good enough?
“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” – C.S. Lewis